Calcutta is known as the "MECCA" of Indian Football. Prior to the construction of the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan (Salt Lake Stadium), all the football matches of the Premier Calcutta League and IFA Shield, the "Blue Riband of Indian Football" used to be played on the three enclosed grounds at the Calcutta Maidan namely, East Bengal Club, Mohun Bagan Club and Mohamedan Sporting Club grounds. It was in one of these grounds, where the 1st Indian Club Mohun Bagan lifted the IFA Shield defeating the Yorkshire Regiment by 2-J in 1911, realising the joy of victory for the first time. While the Army is the Owner of these grounds, the administrative control is exercised by the State Government. The wooden galleries of the three enclosed grounds, excepting the Membership stands of those three clubs, is maintained by the Department of Sports and for this, there is a budgetary provision in the Departmental Budget. PWD Department, Government of West Bengal, undertakes maintenance and repairing of the wooden galleries and the Department of Sports allocates funds for the purpose.
THREE ENCLOSED GROUNDS AT KOLKATA MAIDAN AREA